Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The horror of chemotherapy.... The goodness of God

Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

There are times, cancer patients like us sit together, and discuss each other experiences on dealing with chemotherapy side effects. Each one of us has a different version of the story. But one thing in common which all of agreed upon. We are all victim of HIV, not the virus but “Hair is vanishing”.
Luckily, I have doctor who always give me instruction, and prescriptions to treat with those expected side effects. She also orients me about the possibilities of acquiring different side effects on each chemotherapy treatment and the ways to cope it.
For me, the first two cycles are the most difficult. I have vomiting, nausea, mouth sores, among others which cause my loss of appetite. My wife says I have a palatable tongue; I eat almost everything. But, when loss of appetite struck me, I cannot able to eat even my favorite dishes was on the table. I lost 10kilos and becoming pale and thinner that time. My friends beg at me and look me with compassion, but with all my heart I know, I still have a strong spirit.
I shave my head on the next chemo session and that’s no problem with me because it is already receding. What worrying me about is my WBC and RBC it decreasing below critical level. It brings my immunity to fall which also causing the delay of my 6th cycle for one week; I also need to double my ferrous sulfate intake to bring it back to normal. Some of my co-patients also has their platelets depleting and subjected them for blood transfusion. I was very lucky indeed. All these things including skin and face rashes, malaise, bone weakness, and others are symptoms a cancer patient may struggle when they have their chemotherapy treatment.
It’s hard but we have to accept it. All we need is to understand that it is on the plan of God to us. All has trials because all has inequities. All we need is to accept Him, serve Him, and enjoy the fullness of his presence in our lives, and all will come to an end…believe me it cures.




How to manage chemo side-effects?

No comments:

Post a Comment